Friday, January 4, 2013

The Great Buffy Re-watch--Jump Start January Day 4

Attention! Attention! I'm giving a talk tonight on Writing The Middle Grade Novel at Musehouse in Chestnut Hill, PA! We'll be focusing on middle grade novels and craft, but a lot of general writing and publishing info will be shared.

And... I'm sick. Don't worry, I'll be on cold meds for the talk tonight. But because I've been a little under the weather, and on vacation (sort of...the semester hasn't started, but as a professor and a writer I ALWAYS have work to do), I've kind of re-watched the entire first season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. And before you judge, remember its only twelve episodes!

Season 1 of Downton Abbey took me 2 days.

But back to Buffy!

Oh did I forget how good it is!

Yeah this picture sucks. What do you want? I'm sick! Note the tissue box.
First of all, season 1 is EPIC on a grand scale! Aside from some shoddy fashions and out of date references, the lines are still hilarious, the emotions still great, and the essence of truth behind the show is just amazing.

I mean, how classic is it when Joyce tells Buffy she knows it's the end of the world if Buffy can't go out and it really will be!

I absolutely love the arc of this season (Buffy dying in the season finale and coming back). And the Big Bad of the season, The Master, reminds me so much of Voldemort. But with a nose.

The other thing that struck me so much about the show was how effortlessly it uses its paranormal elements to highlight and expand on the adolescent experience. It's something I miss in paranormal shows and some books.

For example, I Robot... You Jane is about a demon that gets trapped in a computer and tries to online date Willow. I mean...seriously, you never know who you'll meet on the internet (I think we forget now it can be such a scary place sometimes), but an actual demon...classic!

So of course now that I've done that...I have no choice but to watch season 2--which has been my favorite season of TV since I saw it in high school (and it broke my heart into a million billion pieces).

How about you guys? How many of you remember season 1? When's the last time you watched it? Favorite episode? (Mine is a tie between Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest, Angel, and Prophecy Girl).

10 comments:

  1. Joss Whedon, is amazeballs. And if you ask me, (no matter how old I get) Buffy is just one of those shows that will always rule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! And going back to watch Buffy again, I realize how true that is and am newly impressed with how well it has stood up!

      Delete
  2. Brian loves Buffy. He's also a huge Angel fan--did you get Downton on Nexflix? I need to watch it!

    Good luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch Downton Abbey on Netflix. I liked Angel too...I don't remember how many seasons I've seen though. I never actually watched Buffy past season 5--I went to college and didn't have a TV in a my dorm. But I think I'm just going to go through and watch them all now.

      Delete
  3. I am actually one of the few people who loves YA who has never seen this show. Eventually I'm gonna have to check it out. I generally love any show with paranormal stuff, ESPECIALLY if it's about teens, so i can't imagine why I haven't seen this yet. I might have to make my husband download it for me right now. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should definitely watch this one! You'd love it! And watching it again now, I can tell you, it really holds up!

      Delete
  4. Yay, BuffyFest! I still haven't found season 7, so let me know if you want company when you get to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I will! Right now I'm almost halfway through season 2--but only because I'm still sick. The fest is going to sloooooow the minute I feel better and can return to writing--but I'll have withdrawal.

      Delete
  5. Yay for Buffy! I only discovered the show late last year after one of my good blogging friends started rewatching it and I decided to give it a go for myself. The outcome? I'm now a HUGE fan of the show. After flying through the series at super speed I was then kind of lost - thank goodness for Angel! It might not be as good as Buffy but it was just what I needed, especially since I was such a big Angel fan! *swoon* It wasn't long ago since I finished watching Buffy NUT I've already been rewatching episodes after buying the boxset in the Christmas sales so whenever I'm in the mood for some Buffy and need a lift, I know what I'll be pulling out!

    Feel better soon and have fun rediscovering season 2! My favourite episdoe of season 1 is Angel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh yay! I don't know how I'm going to curb my newly regained obsession! I'm trying to create rules and boundaries for myself because I'm already halfway through season 2. And I'm plotting to start watching Angel AND Buffy when I hit season 4 to stay true to the timeline.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!