They also included lots of things like "And then this happens." "He explains this stuff to her and she makes a decision." You know, instead of actually writing out what was explained (I know what happened...but my invisible readers won't). And I knew the next thing I had to write...though...I felt like getting there was going to be a problem. As in I didn't know what to write or how to write it.
Basically....it was my worst fear of pantsing realized. I'm lost in my story and I can't find my way out.
Until I decided that some of my characters needed new names.
Actually four of them.
All very important and central to the story.
Thus began an epic two hours on baby naming websites until I had found four new names that I liked, that sounded like the characters, and that also sounded good together.
And the next thing I knew, I busted out three thousand words.
So apparently my characters were all just a little annoyed that I'd given them the wrong names and were refusing to cooperate or be themselves until I named them right.
I've never renamed characters in the middle of a story like this before. I'm a pretty firm believer that your name is your name and I can't do anything about it.
Except I can (duh). And now the writing is flowing and not-lackluster (yay) and all their personalities are back and they are saying things instead of summarizing them.
This pantsing thing is like a constant adventure. I wonder what will happen next (to me and in the story).
36,000 words in!